Over the gate...

Designed in 1913 by Victorian/Edwardian/other architect Theophilus A Allen; John Lennon's house between 1964 and 1968; sunroom, attic and prisco stripe hibernice; Mellotron and caravan; Babidji and Mimi; mortar and pestle; Wubbleyoo Dubbleyoo; curios and curiosity; remnants and residue; testimonials and traces; (Cavendish Avenue, Sunny Heights and Kinfauns); Montagu Square; mock Tudor: Brown House: *KENWOOD*.

(Also available as a blog.)

Legal Blah: This blog is for historical research only, and is strictly non-commercial. All visual and audio material remains the property of the respective copyright owner, and no implication of ownership by me is intended or should be inferred. Any copyright owner who wants something removed should contact me and I will do so immediately. Alternatively, I would be delighted to provide a credit. The writing is by me, such as it is, unless otherwise stated, and this is the only Beatles related blog I am responsible for.

Comments Blah: Comments are moderated. Any genuine comments are welcome. Due to idiotic spamming, you'll have to press the "Follow" button on the right under "Kenwoodites..." in order to leave a comment. Offensive comments/advertising/trolling/other moronicisms are not welcome, and will be rejected.
Comments are the responsibility of the individual commenter, and commenters' opinions do not necessarily reflect my own. (NB: This blog revels in flagrant trivia. If that's not yer "thing", this won't be yer "thang".)

Correspond via: kenwoodlennon@googlemail.com

Monday 25 October 2010

Montagu Square: a blue plaque (and a piss-up).


On Saturday I attended the unveiling of a blue plaque to John, by Yoko, at Montagu Square. How weird it must have been for her to be back there after all this time. I was fortunate enough to get in to have a shufti the day before; unfortunately pics were verboten, but fascinating it was, nevertheless, and very kind of the owner. The room where the Two Virgins sleeve was shot (formerly a bedroom) is now the kitchen - but still very recognisably the same place it all once did hang. I got to spend around 20 minutes there waiting to be shown round. An interesting experience.
Outside, the following day, Yoko and "Hunt lad" did the honours, the front of the place looking pretty much identical to the time in mid-late 1968 when Yoko was last there:


Honours being honoured, Yoko went off, and everyone else proceeded round the corner to a reception, where gallons of free booze flowed, and, to a long-term Beatles saddo like me, the assembled company proved to be... stimulating. I hate name droppingGeoffreyEllisMarkLewisohnLizzieBravoBarryMilesBillHarryRoyCarrHuntladTonyBramwellTheBootlegBeatlesso I shall refrain from mentioning them that supped, and, in certain cases, endured long and gibbering dialogue with yours truly. Suffice to say that the fruits of this gibberish may appear on these pages before too long.
It was also good to finally meet Lizzie Bravo, who was sporting both a proof-copy of her book (which looked incredible) and the badge that she wore when she sang on Across The Universe. This picture accurately reflects my vision at that point. John apparently larfed at the message. As, apparently, did I.


A splendid time was had by all, and you can't say better than that.

7 comments:

  1. I was there (on the outside obviously) in June and was amazed how it looked just like it did in the old photos!

    I am so jealous that you and Lizzie got to meet! I would love to meet any of you fellow photo collectors. And I am jealous that you got to see the book! Oh how amazing!

    What does the badge say? I can't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't read it either, I'm intrigued - what does it say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day. Was there a big crowd there ? Can't help but feel jealous, too. Is this the flat that J Hendrix paited black and was asked to leave ?

    Brilig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo Sean. Looking forward to your musings of the day. Brilliant as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi gang! Just got back to Rio this morning - took me 18 hours door-to-door! I am falling asleep but will come back with photos and details from that fun day! Had a great time with all my new mates. Fab to finally meet you Sean, and Mr. Montagu Square! The badge reads "Too Much Sex Makes You Short Sighted".

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did have a good time that day and the day before visiting the apartment with Mark. And I agree the boys' badges is indeed a subject that is crying out for further investigation! I remember some of John's: "Handle With Care" and "Sword Swallower". I'll look through my albums and see if I can recognize any more. Have not totally "landed" yet... And if I eat any more digestive biscuits or Cadbury's chocolate I may be sick for life... That's what us fat people bring back from vacations: food! Be well, my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.